Monday, April 5, 2010

Cookie is Packin'

I have an unrealistic sense of security and it's been getting me in some trouble. I guess I'm going to have to do something about it.
I don't think I'm brave. I have been blessed to have avoided any real run in with danger thus far in my life. Well, ...except for the time the loony guy busted out our back door frame to steal....(are you ready for this?)....my undergarments. Gross. We were checking in to a hotel in Las Vegas and Ronnie received a call from the BAPD. Really, there are two important things to know about this crime. #1) Since we were out of town, 4 people ended up at our house, dealing with the police report, etc. My mom. Bronda (Ronnie's ex-wife). Greg Pittman (our pastor). Andrea Pittman (Greg's wife). I'm in Las Vegas and picturing this bunch gathered in my living room, identifying my...ahem...undergarments. #2) I would NOT go to the police station to retrieve the evidence but the guy had to pay restitution. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
I've taken off on several adventures by myself. I've explored cities by myself and hiked a few trails on my own. On a recent group trip to Wyoming, I talked my mom into dropping me off at a Teton trail head and made arrangements for her to pick me up later. Some of our group was back at the camp, fishing. The rest of us had been horseback riding in the Bridger Teton Forest and they were tired and not up for a hike. I convinced Mom that it was a busy trail and I'd be fine. What I didn't realize was that I took the very last ferry across Jenny Lake, so the traffic had wound way down and I was alone on the trail most of the way. The trail was easy, but it was situated between the lake and the Tetons and, you know, ...I started thinking the bears may be heading down the mountain to go for some early evening fishing. In an effort to ward off any encounters with animals, I sang out loud. Probably a Barry Manilow tune. Or Eminem. It was awesome fun and I'm so glad I did it. It was totally worth all the trouble I got into with the rest of the group when they found out what I did.
Last fall we went to Mountain View, Arkansas with Ronnie's family. I discovered that the Ozark Highlands Trail is right there and there was no way I would be able to miss an opportunity to experience it. Another journey on my own. It was beautiful. I only passed 4 other hikers on my trek.

Now...the last few weeks of running in my home city have me rethinking my sense of security. It all started with a run in with a dog. I was running thru a Jenks neighborhood and had a couple of dogs chase after me. One little dog got a fang in my leg. A mail man came to my rescue, chased them off, and gave me some pepper spray. Oh my gosh! I didn't know what to do! I knew there had to be protocol here. Don't you like, have to get shots in your stomach? Take the head off the dog? Have a section of your spleen removed for testing? Like, really,...I had no idea what to do. I ran to the police station and filed a report. The Sargent said, "ok...ma'am..the warden has the suspect in custody and he's on his way now so you can positively identify him". BAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAA. I tried to text that very statement to Ronnie but I was crying too hard from laughing. The doggie was clean. No rabies.
Fast forward to this last Saturday. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY! I have had a cold and thanks to a cold medicine hang over, I overslept and missed the opportunity to run with my group. I really wanted to experience the Katy trail so I took out on my own. I parked at Veteran's Park, headed across 11th, and across the railroad tracks. We're not in Kansas anymore. Everything was going wonderfully, until I cut off the trail early to avoid a scary looking guy. I ended up in a B A D part of town. Really, really, really bad. I had the good sense to take my Ipod off and slip it in my spy belt. Several of the homes had gangs of pit bulls swarming about. There were homeless people everywhere. There was a suspicious dude driving an ice cream truck that I was certain probably had methsickles. I was praying the whole time. I was sick to my stomach to think that people live like this in our city. We go to Mexico for STM's, but there is a tremendous need for major relief and development just a few miles from riverside where families are picnicking and throwing Frisbee's. It was disgusting. I was sure that the gear I was wearing for a simple Saturday run was worth more than they have invested in their living rooms (if they have living rooms). I was consciously aware of how I presented myself. I was petrified of how they may view me. Poverty has many levels and just because they are materially poor doesn't mean that I am better. I ran past one guy and smiled. He smiled so warmly but then growled out the scariest man grunt that made me suddenly wish I was wearing a turtleneck and long pants . I ran past a girl that was hunched over and something was coming out of her nose. A man was patting her on the back. Dear Lord help them.
I was so thankful to make it back to riverside but you can bet that this experience has made an impact on my life. For one...I will remember the needs in our own community and try to plug in more often. Second...I will quit being a giant DUMB DUMB by getting myself in these situations! Third....I WILL BE PACKIN' (heat, pepper spray, mace....somethin')!

No comments:

Post a Comment