Monday, March 15, 2010

PIONEER WOMAN UPDATE

The project rolls on and the recipes from the "accidental country girl" are awesome. I have slacked a little on the picture taking but my family thinks it's kind of weird anyway to snap pics of our food. Here's a pic of her cookbook. Scout thinks she's "hot". I kind of think so too.

Here's the lowdown:
Twice baked potatoes: These were very good. I think it's actually healthier to cook potatoes this way rather than mash them because Ronnie likes A LOT of butter. This way, I can control that.
Pineapple Upside Cake: Whoa Nellie. This was a catastrophe of epic proportions. I burned the brown sugar and butter for starters. Made toffee. Strike one. I'm pretty sure that my cast iron skillet is too small but at least I had the forethought to use a backup cookie sheet to catch any spills. It did run over. Sheesh. Then, when I thought it was done, I flipped it over on the cake pedestal. The dumb thing was not done. Dilemma, dilemma,.....I maneuvered the heavy skillet back over the cake and tried as best as I could to flip it back in to cook a little more. In summary....I'm not cut out for the baking of the pineapple upside down cake. Moving on....
Chicken Fried Steak: Mommy. This was good. I have cooked chicken fried steak a few times, but the double dipping made all the difference. Ronnie and Jonathan give a thumbs up on this one.
Spicy Pulled Pork: I had high expectations for this one. I made it for a super bowl party. The verdict-it was great. The method for creating the rub was different. I didn't bring much home so that's a good sign. I like that she suggests serving it with lime wedges (and tortillas, of course).
Chocolate Sheet Cake: I made this for my friend Chris's birthday. Several people requested the recipe. I thought the icing was a little thin. I think I like my trusted chocolate sheet cake recipe better.
Simple, Perfect Enchiladas: Be prepared to throw your fork across the table. These were magic. I'm 3/4 Hispanic so of course I'm going to love these. Well, I don't genetically have any Hispanic blood, but my heart is 3/4 Hispanic. Jes, it is. The end result made up for the fact that they were a little tricky to roll. The whole dipping of the corn tortilla in hot oil, then in the sauce, etc was a challenge. Bethany was standing near by and she said, "oh Jennifer...don't give up...you can do it".
Comfort Meatballs: Scout helped me make these and we had to work fast since we were expecting company. I prepared the meatballs (which are kind of like mini meatloaves vs the Italian variety) and Scout made the sauce. Mom is on a strict diet and training program and I think she nearly fainted when she walked in and saw me frying these in oil. She and Dad liked them and Ronnie asked why we hadn't ever had them before. Great with mashed potatoes and salad. (...and garlic cheese bread...and ice cream)
Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich: Scout pretty much made this on his own, with a small amount of direction. According to him, this was "life changing". He will be making this again but he said it needed more Tabasco next time. On a side note, I got another lesson from my cowboy son about selecting beef, including some rambling about myoglobin...er...something globin.

Recipes on the website, but not in the cookbook:
Quesadillas De Camarones: I really like the shrimp and spinach quesadillas at Los Cabos. These were really good. Better than Los Cabos.
Monday Night Stir Fry: This was another thing that the kid helped me with. There was a lot of prep work and you have to work fast once you start the cooking. Stir fry will never be high on Ronnie or Scout's list, but hey...they ate it! She suggests adding cilantro before serving. Magically delicious.

So, how's the running going, you ask? You didn't ask? Oh. I finished the Mardi Gras half marathon in February. It was a blast and I'll post a story about that this week. I've had to run a lot of miles to make up for the calories in PDub's food. I've also started a new program today. Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. More on that later. I will say, I'm SORE today. Yeehaw.

Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment