Friday, April 24, 2009

Countdown to OKC....and thinking about Zach...

YEEEHAW!! 5 months of training and we're almost there! The Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon is what Runner's World calls one of the 12 "Must Run" marathons in the world. The pre-race buzz is awesome and there's not been a minute of my last few days that I'm not thinking about the run. It's been a pretty textbook pre-run week for me....very nervous, very excited, and surprisingly OCD about EVERYTHING. I've been almost frantic about keeping everything constant in my life, as not to throw off my mojo. I think I also let a little arrogance come in on this weeks runs. Fortunately, one of the benefits of my RW training tells me that I should expect the occasional bad run. Last night was one of those! I felt good going in to it, but my shoes felt too tight, my shorts felt too short, I was starving, I was hot, My shirt was too tight, and the hills were killer. I ended up cutting my 3 miles to 2 and even still, had to walk most of it. I don't know what my deal is, but I'm moving on and thinking positive thoughts about the run on Sunday. My new goal is to not die! :)
I'm thinking about everyone heading to OKC Saturday. I'm thinking about Bronda who is struggling with leg pain and a cold. I'm thinking about Ryan who has a knee as big as a softball (but is rocking a new mohawk!). I'm thinking about Brian Russell who has been training for months for his first marathon. I'm thinking about friends of mine that have recently started running and now have goals to experience big races! I'm thinking about all of RW gang who I've had the privilege of running with for the last several months. And...I'm thinking about the reason for the run. It's a chance to remember the loss of lives in the bombing, the chance to honor those who's lives have been changed forever, and a chance to celebrate the resilience of people.
I'll be thinking about the day that I sat in my living room and was chilled at the sight of Oklahoma making breaking National news. I will also be thinking about my family who will be meeting Saturday night for the annual bonfire to honor the life of my cousin Zachery who was taken from us at a very young age. This has by far been the most tragic and difficult loss our family has endured. Zach's parents (my uncle and aunt), Kim and Cindy Dunn will never be the same, but they have responded to the loss in a way that makes our family very proud. They became advocates for public awareness and education of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which claimed Zach's life. They are a light, reminding others that we have eternal hope and can find comfort in our storms. Most importantly, they remind us to never forget those who go before us.
I won't forget! Let's rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment