Tuesday, June 22, 2010

PIONEER WOMAN UPDATE!

It's been awhile since I've posted my PDub conquests so here's an update:

Mocha Brownies: Of all the recipes in the book, I was MOST excited about making this one. I love sugar. I love coffee. I love chocolate. This recipe was choc full of all of the above. I was in a hurry to put these together to take to a family bonfire and so I rushed a couple of steps. I'm blaming my rush for the failure of this recipe. I shouldn't say it was a total failure, but it was much too sweet and the texture wasn't great. The icing was TOO much. I think there were about 3 brownies eaten out of the whole pan. I may try this again sometime when I have more time.

Pico De Gallo: Very simple and simply awesome. I'll make this all summer. Ronnie doesn't like onions and Scout isn't wild about tomatoes so I ate the whole batch myself. This was not a problem. :)

Guacamole: The kid made this for me and it was awesome. Another recipe that I'll make all summer.

Iny's Prune Cake with Buttermilk Icing: Scout came in the kitchen when I was making this last week and said, "Mom, I thought you said you were going to lay off the PW recipes because your butt is getting big?". Well, yes, but I get seduced by the beautiful photos and intriguing stories and next thing you know, I'm back at it. This was so delicious right out of the oven. Ronnie and I loved it. Scout on the other hand, said it tasted like goat something or other. I think it's because he saw the prunes cooking on the stove and it scared him. I didn't like the cake as much on day 2 which was really a blessing to keep me from eating the whole thing.

Katie's Roasted Corn Salad: Whoa. I'm not a fan of corn. This recipe has been the biggest surprise so far. It was AWESOME! Very fresh and very healthy. You grill the corn, red pepper, onion, and squash and then de-cob the corn and dice the veggies before adding the tomato and the very healthy dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, BASIL, and garlic. I'll make this for the rest of my life. Ronnie didn't like it but fortunately, Holley came by the house that night and validated my opinion that this was a keeper.

I've made the chocolate sheet cake 2 more times since the last time I posted but I make into cupcakes and use a white frosting. Love.

I've also made a few more things from her website that are not in the book.
Marlboro Man's favorite pasta: GREAT
Fried mozzarella: GREAT
Cinnamon Toast: MONEY

I am slowing down a bit with the cooking but I may just make it thru the book as planned. I love Pioneer Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment